COMPREHENSIVE PLAN UPDATES
After receiving a favorable recommendation from the June 19 Planning Board meeting, the Town Council held a public hearing on July 8 to consider the adoption of the 2014 Comprehensive Plan. At the meeting, Town Council unanimously adopted the plan. The final adopted copy can be viewed by clicking here.
For more information about the plan, contact the Town Planning Department at: (828) 295-5240.
2014 Comprehensive Plan Update Schedule
- January - First Draft Prepared - No Steering Committee Meeting
- February 11 - Steering Committee Meeting to review first draft of plan
- March 11 - Blowing Rock 125th Year Anniversary
- April 8 - Steering Committee Meeting to review draft plan
- May 15 - Steering Committee Review and Planning Board Review
- June 4 - Updated Draft of Comprehensive Plan will be posted on this site for review
- June 19 - Public Meeting on Draft – (Town Hall 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
- June 19 - Planning Board Consideration of Draft – 5:30 pm (APPROVED)
- July 8 – Town Council Consideration of Draft (PLAN ADOPTED) - 5:30pm
ABOUT THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
The Town of Blowing Rock Comprehensive Plan is intended to serve as both a physical and policy plan to guide the Town in its future decision making concerning land use and development, preservation of the natural environment, recreation and cultural resources, economic development, municipal services, transportation, and regional cooperation. The Town intends to build upon the foundation of the 2004 Comprehensive Plan as a starting point to develop the update. The plan update process began with a community survey that was completed in the fall of 2012, with the results and subsequent analysis compiled by NC State University Center for Urban Affairs. The Town will utilize those survey results, a public visioning process, and the current comprehensive plan to develop an updated plan that provides policy direction for the next 10 to 20 years. The updated plan will establish meaningful and achievable goals, as well as strategies and policies for the implementation of the plan.
The adopted Comprehensive Plan is available for download.