COMPREHENSIVE PLAN UPDATES
Thank you to the residents of Blowing Rock who were engaged and supportive throughout the public input process during 2013. Over 75 people participated on August 27th for the kick-off meetings at Town Hall and at Blowing Rock School. During October, approximately 35 attended each day of the workshops that were held at Town Hall. The community meetings and workshops revealed some key issues that affect year round and seasonal residents, as well as tourists.
2014 Comprehensive Plan Update Schedule
- January - First Draft Prepared - No Steering Committee Meeting
- February 11 - Steering Committee Meeting to review first draft of plan
- March 11 - Blowing Rock 125th Year Anniversary
- April 8 - Steering Committee Meeting to review draft plan
- May 15 - Steering Committee Review and Planning Board Review
- May/June - Public Meeting on Draft – (Meeting Date & Time TBD)
- May - June – Adoption Process (Planning Board and Town Board Meetings)
ABOUT THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
The Town of Blowing Rock Comprehensive Plan is intended to serve as both a physical and policy plan to guide the Town in its future decision making concerning land use and development, preservation of the natural environment, recreation and cultural resources, economic development, municipal services, transportation, and regional cooperation. The Town intends to build upon the foundation of the 2004 Comprehensive Plan as a starting point to develop the update. The plan update process began with a community survey that was completed in the fall of 2012, with the results and subsequent analysis compiled by NC State University Center for Urban Affairs. The Town will utilize those survey results, a public visioning process, and the current comprehensive plan to develop an updated plan that provides policy direction for the next 10 to 20 years. The updated plan will establish meaningful and achievable goals, as well as strategies and policies for the implementation of the plan.